I received an email from my dad last night with some great advice in it that I thought I would pass along. You may have seen this, but it’s good advice nonetheless! The title of the email is 10 things you can learn from Albert Einstein and here they are:
- Follow Your Curiosity. “I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.”
- Perseverance is Priceless. “It’s not that I’m so smart; it’s just that I stay with problems longer.”
- Focus on the Present. “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
- The Imagination is Powerful. “Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions. Imagination is more important than knowledge.”
- Make Mistakes. “A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.”
- Live in the Moment. “I never think of the future – it comes soon enough.”
- Create Value. “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
- Don’t Expect Different Results. “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
- Knowledge Comes From Experience. “Information is not knowledge. The only source of knowledge is experience.”
- Learn the Rules and Then Play Better. “You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.”
I think each and every principal is true and incredibly important. It reminded me of how easily the little things get lost when we get caught up in silly things that stress us out or drive us crazy. When reading it, I put it in a context that applied to me and my business, and it really does help you see the important aspects of what you are trying to do. Be it starting a new business or just living life to the fullest. I’m going to try and apply each of the ten principals laid out by Einstein to build a better photography business – we’ll see how it goes! I’m sure I’ll get sidetracked and stressed over something silly, but hopefully I’ll remember to stop and reevaluate things.
After giving you a little advice from Einstein, how about the photo of the week? I took this of a little kitty that Catherine, my assistant, and I rescued from Wabash on Washington. Her name is Nova, and Catherine’s mom was nice enough to let Catherine keep her after we kind of surprised her with the kitty. Not the best idea…but everything worked out. Let me know what you think of Nova. Also, check out the claws on that kitty!